This indulgent, traditional Turkish treat combines flaky pastry, nuts and spices all soaked in orange syrup.
- 60g butter
- 120g blanched almonds
- 120g walnuts
- 50g pistachio nuts
- 60g soft brown sugar
- 1tsp Bart ground cinnamon
- 1/2tsp Bart ground cloves
- 1/4tsp Bart ground nutmeg
- 8 large sheets of filo pastry
- To make the syrup, place the sugar and lemon juice in a pan with 150ml of water. Heat slowly until the sugar dissolves then add the orange flower water and simmer for 2 more minutes. Leave to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Butter a rectangular baking tin approximately 30cm x22cm.
- In a food processor, finely chop one third of the nuts then coarsely chop the remainder. Combine these, in a bowl, with the sugar and spices.
- Cut the filo sheets in half. Brush 1 sheet with melted butter and place in the bottom of the baking tin. Repeat with 3 more sheets.
- Spread one third of the nut mixture on top then repeat the layers twice more, finishing with a layer of pastry. Use a sharp knife to cut the top layer of pastry into diamonds.
- Bake in the oven of 30 minutes until crisp and golden then immediately pour the cold syrup over the top.
- When cold, cut into diamonds. Keep for a day before serving.